How To Run Wires For Surround Sound? A Detailed Guide in 2023
- 01 Dec 2022 05:41
Wires for surround sound are a problem that makes many people tired during operations. It requires skills, supporting accessories, and expensive costs. To solve the above problem, we decided to come up with the most effective solutions on how to run wires for surround sound. Besides, you can also refer to more surround sound tips to help the audio cord's path become more beautiful than not everyone knows.
How To Run Wires For Surround Sound?Here are specific implementations for you. I have selected the fastest methods on how to prewire for surround sound effects, so you can rest assured to apply.
Through baseboardsFirst, running surround sound through baseboards is the simplest method of the three suggestions. Yet, you also have to have the ideal conditions to implement this approach most effectively. The first requirement is that there are no thresholded doorways in your room. It is better that your room has extra carpet and you can quickly move around. As for the idea, I will use tape to fix the carpet to the floor. I just left a narrow slot to fit the power line for aesthetics. At this point, I already have the mold ready to deploy the wire according to the existing mold. For tools, you need the following basic supplies: wire strippers, pliers, AV equipment, screwdriver, razor, and tape measure. The detailed implementation process includes seven steps:
- Step 1: Once you've located the correct starting point for the wiring, use pliers to pull the mat behind the AV unit.
- Step 2: Align the space between the carpet and the base of the wall so that it fits the line you have prepared. The enclosed area will detract from the aesthetics of your line.
- Step 3: Start running the cable in two ways (parallel or in two directions). Either way, it is quick and doesn't affect line failures.
- Step 4: Linearization begins with the pliers pulling the carpet up. The perfect distance is 2 feet.
- Step 5: Insert the cable into the gap. At this step, you must be gentle so that the wire does not puncture and create a small space to anticipate the carpet moving.
- Step 6: Run the bracket from your surround speakers to your speakers and secure the speaker wire.
- Step 7: Do the same with the 2nd surround speaker.
With Crawl SpaceBefore taking this second method, consult with electrical professionals in your area. In some places, this practice does not receive permission from the power company. Also, you may experience difficulty based on speaker placement relative to the wall in your room. Some tools you must prepare are a drill, 1/2 inch bit, rivet finder, fish tape, wire stripper, razor, screwdriver, hammer, low voltage box, wire stapler electricity. If you're ready, we'll come up with seven concrete steps.
- Step 1: You determine the cable to go. Choose the shortest path and only exploit the roads with few obstacles.
- Step 2: Locate the niche to anticipate the distance your wire will travel.
- Step 3: Make a low-voltage box hole a fish tape 18 inches off the floor.
- Step 4: Locate the drill in the wall to connect the wires. Ask for help from others so you can drill as accurately as possible.
- Step 5: Connect the speaker wire according to each previous format. A good tip is that you don't have to retrofit wall panels if your surround sound is wall- or ceiling-mounted.
- Step 6: Use fish tape to run the wiring. Then you take a hammer and nails to fix everything firmly.
- Step 7: Check if everything is still loose or not.
With Crown Molding
With crown moldingRunning surround wire with crown molding is my favorite method. In essence, this method also has many of the same principles as the two suggestions above. The most significant exception is how the line works. Instead of deploying under the floor or on the wall, I choose the location on the floor. Now, you may find it difficult. However, I have tips for you to make it a lot quicker and easier. Here are nine steps specific to you:
- Step 1: Determine the installation location using a wall-mounted 1×2 specimen. Accordingly, you have solid molds to create safety and long life for your hometown. One tip for placing your prototype is to follow the rule of 0.75 inches from the ceiling and 2-3 inches apart.
- Step 2: Like other methods, you need to determine the wiring diagram of the arch. The simplest way is to run the sections together instead of running in two separate directions.
- Step 3: Use the machine to cut a square hole about 1 inch in the ceiling to make a line. A quick tip is to use fish tape to thread the wire through.
- Step 4: After putting the two wires through, fix the wire tightly until the position of the surround speaker.
- Step 5: At this point, you can mount the 18-inch wall mount or mount the speaker in the wall dome.
- Step 6: Connect the speaker wire to the first dome.
- Step 7: Do the same with the second arch; you can go back to step 5 for reference.
- Step 8: Create protection for speaker wire termination points
- Step 9: Recheck the line and ensure there is no wire leakage.
How To Hide Surround Sound Wires?To improve the appearance of surround sound through baseboards, you can use the following four methods to hide surround sound wires.
Speaker TapeIn addition to protecting and securing speaker wire on the wall, speaker wire tape helps match the speaker wire color with the border. With this method, you peel off the adhesive tape on the back and stick it directly on your wire.
Cable arrangers and concealers
Cable arrangersAs the name suggests, these two kits help you hide cables without making your wiring out of place. Another advantage is that these products save the best costs. The downside of this model is that your wires may be exposed after a while.